Eating Clean, Paleo, I Quit Sugar, FODMAP, Gluten Free… where do you start? I think some of the best eating plans are the simplest ones that you can follow, love, enjoy and UNDERSTAND. Clean eating is simple and falls under that category.
Through my health coaching programs, I work with people of all fitness levels to discover what foods work for their body – given allergies, blood type, fitness and/or weight loss goals. I also walk the walk, most of the time… My boyfriend said the other day – “You don’t put anything in your body that doesn’t have a reason. Except for the occasional glass of bubbles. ” I often mention to him all the time why I am eating what I am eating, and I swear he can rattle off the top antioxidant rich foods in his sleep.
Here’s why I eat clean:
What’s your reason to follow any plan or lifestyle? Once you think about your goal, you are more likely to stay on the wagon 80- 90% of the time.
Here are my easy 5 tips on how to eat clean for life:
1. Load up on Veggie and Fruits. Eat at least 3 cups veggies and 1-2 pieces of fruit per day. The more the better, I like to think at least 6 veggie/fruits servings or varieties I can get in the better.
2. GO for the non processed foods, try to eat 80% of whole foods. Avocados, Oats, Quinoa, Walnuts… Shop outside the perimeter of the supermarket first to fill up your cart and then you will find there’s little room for anything else!
3. Nourish your skin with healthy fats. Olive Oil, nuts, and seeds are great for the heart where saturated fats increase the risk of heart disease. Top your salad with walnuts or pumpkin seeds instead of cheese, and use almond butter instead of cream cheese on toast.
4. Toss out the SUGAR. Going for non processed food usually takes care of this problem, however steer clear of fruit juices and sweet “healthy” drinks. Go for the full fruit and receive the fiber benefits and opt for tea or water instead of the orange juice.
5. Use spices, herbs, citrus and vinegar to season foods. Steer clear of added salt in the diet. This can often cause cravings, dehydration, and can lead to high blood pressure.
These are just a few of my gems, and join me in blogs to come for more info on increasing energy, reducing pain, and living a vital and adventurous life!
I also have personalised programs, nourishing yoga retreats in NZ, or go for it and immerse yourself in my Bali Retreat for a week of clean eating and adventure to nourish your body and soul. Check out www.swellfitliving.com for more info!